November 17, 1944, The Veterans of Foreign Wars granted a Charter to Tidewater Post 4809, originally known as Lafayette Post 4809.
Following a merger of Post 4809 and Post 2163 of South Norfolk, a building committee was established and a new Post home was completed in 1965 at the current address of 5728 Bartee Street, Norfolk, VA.
We started with Post Commander, Robert (Doc) Brunner who passed away in December of 2013. “Doc” had over 47 years of service to the VFW at this time of his passing.
Another merger with Norfolk Post 392, Virginia Beach Post 4698 and our Post 4809 eventually increased membership to over 1100 members.
Construction began on a new Post Home on January 1986. A cornerstone was put into place on March 31, 1986 and a copy of the post history to that date was inserted in this corner stone as part of the permanent History of Tidewater Post 4809 located at 5728 Bartee Street, Norfolk, VA.
Upon completion of construction, a temporary occupancy permit was granted on November 22, 1986. The old Post home was demolished and removed under the leadership of Post Commander, Ellis (Pete) Eckley.
Tidewater Post 4809, still located on Bartee Street, is proud of our history and service to the community and the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States of America.